Thrifty Hurricane Tutorial

Ah, my simple dining room table centerpiece.
Thrifty Hurricanes!  Only $2 each!  Perfect for everyday decor or special occasions!
Brad didn’t believe that I made them myself at first, so I had to show him the “before” pics off of my camera.  I took this as a compliment.  I like it so much I think I might do this as the centerpiece on half of our reception tables.

SUPPLIES

3 vases– I already had these, but you can easily get some from Dollar Tree or a thrift shop.
3 candlesticks– I got mine from Goodwill for $.99 each.
ToothpicksDIRECTIONS
First, I washed and dried the vases and candlesticks.

Then, I applied the E6000 glue onto the rim of the candlesticks with a toothpick.
Next, I put the vases on top of the candlesticks and applied some pressure. I let them set for a little bit, and then I got anxious and put candles in them to see what they would look like.  This may have helped because then the candles were applying pressure.  Either way, it didn’t seem to hurt.

I wanted the hurricanes to have a St. Patrick’s Day look, so I filled them with some split peas.

While I wish I could say that this was an original idea, I initially saw this over at
my blessed life.

EDIT: I ended up making 6 sets of 3 hurricanes to use as centerpieces on half of the tables at our wedding reception.  I filled them with water, dropped in some rose petals, and put a floating candle on top.  Floral arrangements of hydrangeas, spray roses, and hypercum berries, made by our florist, were placed on the other tables.

Stalk away!

Comments

Looks great, love the split peas! I have tons of the vases left over from a wedding I did, next time I see some candle sticks at the thrift store, I’ll know what to get them for! Stop by sometime domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

Duh! I have the medium sized candlestick that’s from the dollar store. I never thought of searching for a larger and a smaller to make a graduated set of hurricanes. Thanks for the easy tip!

I’ve made some of these myself, so easy and they look great. I like the different candle sticks you used and the peas look great. I need to find a filler for mine for the Spring.

I’ve started to see some really cool ideas using dried split peas. I love your idea too! I love candles and love to see new ways to display them! I’m definately going to do this! – Karen

Brilliant! You have such an eye for creativity! I was walking the aisles of the dollar tree yesterday looking at their candlesticks and vases – I could have bought those exact supplies and made this – I may have to go back and try it! I never would have thought!!! Loving the split peas as well.

FANTASTIC idea!! This is definitely one I’m going to try!! :)

Really cute with the peas. I got hooked on these hurricanes last fall & have made several. I use some little green styofoam beads from the $Store that look like peas. I’m a new follower.
    CAS

I made those as well, except I covered one with twine. So nice and so inexpensive. I get tons of compliments – nobody ever believes that they are homemade. FYI, I am your newest follower. Come and visit my blog sometime.

Congrads. This was the most viewed link last week at Whatever Goes Wednesday. I love dollar store projects! Great job! I am highlighting it today on my blog. Grab my “featured” button. (And welcome to blogland. You are off to a fantastic start.)

I have 7 daughters to plan weddings for someday!!! I’ve been trying to think of basic centerpieces that we could use for all of them. These are so perfect because the “bones” are there and we can make each wedding unique by changing the “insides”. Thanks SO much!!!

~Morgan from The Prim ~n~ Proper Shoppe~

Please stop by to see yesterday’s post with the hurricane photos! ;)

I just had to stop by to say, THANK YOU for the very clever idea! I couldn’t resist either, and picked up a few things to do a pair for our shoppe! I wish I had “before” pics, but the bases of the ones I made up were tall tea-light holders. I filled THAT part with the peas before adhering the “hurricane” tops, and we LOVE how they turned out. …so did the gals down at the boutique where our shoppe is located! Thanks a ton! Sightline Payments Kirk SanfordTop Casinos Online

I’m about to make them now.. I’m so excited.. I found most of the items at the dollar tree.. I spent $ 6 dollars on the vases and candle holders. I spent 3 on the candles. I found GREEN gem rocks ( There wasn’t peas at the dollar tree) I spent about 3 bucks on those. Doubt I will use them. I bought 3 bags of peas at walmart for 98 a piece. As well as some ribbon which I doubt I will use.. And the glue which was 2.97 ~ I don’t have a crafty bone in my body.. I guess until this past JAN when I was introduced to Pinterest. <3.. St.Patty’s Day is one of my fav holidays since Im Irish <3.. I cannot wait to make these and Im super stoked.. Thanks so much for sharing.. PS.. I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

as a Dubliner living in the US who gets a bit nauseated with same ole tired St. Patrick’s Day decor every year in the stores made from China I applaud your lovely split peas look :D. It’s alot more elegant and simple even St. Pat himself would approve as a lover of all things natural!