DIY Gold Dipped Vase

This post brought to you by iBulb. All opinions are 100% mine.

I don’t know about you but I have at least ten different varieties of clear vases hanging out in our pantry.  A few months ago Brad brought me flowers just because.  Apparently he doesn’t frequent our pantry often because he also went out of his way to buy another vase for the flowers.  I was that wife who was all “You brought home another vase!? Oh, and that was sweet of you to get me flowers, honey.”  I may or may not have received flowers from my husband since this exchange.

So, instead of donating or throwing away all those plain, boring vases, I decided I should spruce them up.  This gold dipped vase project took all of 10-15 minutes and didn’t cost me anything because I already had all the supplies.

I started with a clean, glass vase and painters tape.

I decided to go for a gold dipped look, so I put the tape on the top half of the vase.  Make sure the edge that will meet the paint is sealed to the vase by running your finger over the edge.

Then I grabbed some metallic spray paint and got to work.

Remember when spray painting to go light.  It’s better to have a couple thin layers of paint than to go crazy– that’s when you’ll get drips.  And always, spray paint in a well-ventilated area.  Woot for spray paint weather!

When the vase was dry, I carefully peeled off the tape.

No pretty vase is completely without flowers.  And since Brad is on a flower buying strike, I picked up these gorgeous stargazer lilies and some greenery for myself.  Ladies, there’s no shame in buying yourself flowers.  I do it all the time.  If you follow me on Instagram you know what I’m talking about.

I love how these lilies add a pop of color to my home office, and they smell amazing.  I’m pretty sure they’ve aided in my productivity while working at my desk.

While buying the lilies from my local florist I learned some insightful tips.  First tip: when a lily is starting to look transparent, snip it off and the other blooms on that stem will open.  Second tip: if any of the pollen gets on your clothes don’t rub it in, immediately wash it.  I went ahead and removed the pollen from the lilies before they could get on anything.  I put on some latex gloves and popped off the pollen pieces and put them in the trash.

Looking for some lilies? You can find them at grocery stores, garden centers, and flower shops.

LOVE this!

Do you have a crazy amount of vases?
Do you think this is a DIY you could tackle?
What is your favorite flower?

Visit Sponsor's Site

Stalk away!

Comments

But doesn’t the smell of the flowers come from the pollen?
    I like the idea of the gold, but don’t like “dipped” decor items. The polka dot one is cute!
    My favorite flower is the bleeding heart and since I have a balcony, I cannot have them. They probably won’t last in a container.
    Marie Roxanne recently posted..Stone SoupMy Profile

SUCH an improvement over those plain ol’ vases. I have learned never to even remotely criticize Andy’s flower purchases, because I really, really like getting flowers. Fortunately, I still got the message through to him that those ugly, not-found-in-nature colors in grocery store flowers are not my favorite. Simple tulips, daisies or roses will do thankyouverymuch.
    Kelly @ View Along the Way recently posted..Moodboard for the deck and the new love of my lifeMy Profile

3. Emily says

Hello! I am a new reader, really loving your blog, instagram and pinterest! This post makes me have a strong desire to go out and buy vases and spray paint. I haven’t played around with spray paint before but this has definitely inspired me! :)

4. Alicia says

I too have so many plain vases, but this is such a clever and simple way to change it up. Plus I love the look of gold and I’ve been obsessed lately!

That turned out SO cute!! I also have a million vases in our cabinets. When I was purging items we don’t use in the house, I just couldn’t give them up! I’ll have to try this out!

6. Debbie says

FYI lillies are poisonous to cats. I hope some of your readers who have cats don’t run out and buy lillies right away!

So simple and so pretty! I love incorporating gold into my decor these days. And I think I have some inexpensive (read: dollar tree) vases around here that could use dressing up!
    Anne @ circusberry.wordpress.com
    Anne recently posted..spa day goodiesMy Profile

Hey Chelsea! I included your gold-dipped vase in my “Lovely Links” post today because I LOVED it. Hope that’s ok! Have a great weekend!

I love this! I have so many vases that I end up either donating to Good Will or randomly shoving somewhere in the house that this would be a great change up. I don’t have any gold in my house – maybe it’s time to jump on the bandwagon to add some sparkle into my house!

10. Ronnie says

I love the gold color, but I can’t read the exact color on the can. Is is gold or brass? I’d like to spray paint a metal wall hanging the same color.

11. Mitch says

Hi Chelsea – I love those vases. I tried this method at Christmas, for presents, but when I washed them, the paint came off. Did I use the wrong spray paint? Is there a special kind for glass. I just bought regular spray paints (gold and silver) from our local hardware store. Any thoughts would be appreciate. Love your blog btw – lots of fun.

12. Farida says

I recently used this DIY idea on some vases and I loved the finished result, but I noticed that the spray paint scratches off VERY easily. If the vase rubs up against anything it’ll remove the paint. I used the same spray paint you did. Did you have a similar problem with your vases, and were you able to find a solution?

13. Courtney says

i love this! just did it today, my very first spray paint project~ i found your page on pinterest. i am a stay at home mom and am always looking for low budget projects to do during the day! thanks!

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all is needed to get
    setup? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny?
    I’m not very internet savvy so I’m not 100% certain. Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Cheers
    pink camo wedding rings recently posted..pink camo wedding ringsMy Profile

15. dawn says

love the gold dipped vase. Share with me how you made sure the line was strait going around the vase with the painters tape?