Home Office Makeover Reveal

Today’s the day!  My home office/craft room makeover reveal.  I hope it lives up to your expectations.

This room makeover has been in the works for hmm 17 months.   The process was slow.  Obviously.  This goes to show that rooms don’t come together over night.  Remember that.

I must say I really love my office.  It’s my woman cave.  The place where I can display as many pink and feminine things as I want.  Forget about man caves, every chick should have a woman cave.

home office makeover

Let’s start with the largest piece of furniture in the room– the Ikea Expedit workstation.  I decided on this behemoth because it seemed like a good storage solution for my office.  So in May, 2012 Brad and I made the 2 hour drive to Cincinnati, home of the nearest Ikea, to get the workstation, white storage boxes, picture frames, shelves, and some chocolate.

Brad started on the Expedit shelving unit when we got home and had it assembled in an hour.  I don’t know why people complain about assembling Ikea furniture.  Tip: don’t use the supplied dinky Allen wrenches.  Get a cordless drill.  And a beefcake husband.  You’re welcome for the free tip.

ikea expedit

I’m not an overly girly person.  Don’t let this room give you the impression I’m the bubble gum and rainbows cheerleader type.  I’m not.  I just like the color pink.  I mean, our wedding colors were pink and green.

home office details

Speaking of weddings, I tried to sell my DIY wedding program box and card box after our wedding but that didn’t pan out so they’re hanging out on top of the Expedit.  I had my wedding bouquet immortalized on canvas this past summer.  But I still didn’t have the guts to throw away my gross, dried up bouquet.  It’s in the wedding program box.

ikea expedit

I originally bought these shelves (from Ikea) for our guest bathroom but they were too deep, so I put them in the office.  The Ball mason jelly jars I thrifted a while back fit perfectly on the shelves.  I also store my turquoise Ball mason jars on the top shelf.

ball canning jars used for craft storage

I store various craft and sewing supplies in the jelly jars– washi tape, bakers twine, buttons, and vintage thread spools.

ball mason jars used for craft storage

This wooden cart was given to us by Brad’s grandma.  I brightened it up with a little spray paint.  I use it to house our printer, modem, router, my greeting card box, and some of my books.

printer cart

I created a little sitting area/reading nook with one of the chairs I purchased off Craigslist and a table I scored at Goodwill for $9 on half-off Saturday.  The table looked a little rough, so I freshened up with a coat of white spray paint.

home office chair and side table

The blanket has made previous appearances on the blog– it was a wedding present knit by my Great Aunt.  The pillow’s twin has made an appearance on the blog too.

chair with chevron pillow

I showed you how I tackled the gallery wall a few weeks ago.  The process wasn’t as painful as I thought it’d be.

craft room makeover

white gallery wall

I spruced up my grandma Mildred’s sewing cabinet a year ago.  And I showed you how I took the storage box from ugly green to pretty pink last year.

craft room

Thrifted tatting threads and vintage thread spools are displayed in apothecary jars.

pink threads

Last year I covered my teenage cork board I stole from my parent’s basement with fabric and pushed 5,000 thumbtacks along the edge to give it a nailhead trimmed look.  I get phantom pains in my fingers when I look at it.  Just kidding.  Kind of.

craft room makeover

No room reveal post is complete without fresh flowers.  Write that down.

I picked up these hydrangeas for under $5 at our local grocery store.  Two of them were in the clearance section for $.89.  $.89!  And these puppies have lasted well over a week.  They look pretty nice next to my DIY lucite tray, no?

home office hydrangeas

I’m not opening those closet doors and showing you what’s inside. . . yet.  I have a little DIY project planned for the closet.  Hopefully, I’ll get to it within the next 5 years.

The C monogram hanging on my closet door is from college, and the canvas bag is my super cool Two Twenty One bag.  I’m legit.

craft room makeover

Oh look, it’s my stenciled file cabinet.

I had it under the desk, but I didn’t like how it was somewhat hidden so I put it here.  It fits perfectly in this spot.

stenciled file cabinet

The Expedit is pretty awesome.  It holds a whole lot of stuff.  Which is really nice for me because my home office really is my home office.  I’m a self-employed developmental therapist, and I provide in-home therapy in clients’ homes so my home office is my home base.  This room also serves as the Two Twenty One headquarters and my craft room.  Therefore, I have a lot of stuff.  I’m able to store my work related necessities (client files, paperwork, books) along with my blogging, crafting, and personal items in the Expedit.

ikea expedit for home office

Finally, no room reveal post is complete without the appropriate before and after photos.

home office makeover

I hope you enjoyed the home office/craft room tour!

Find out more details about the makeover, where I purchased everything, and the approximate cost of the makeover HERE.

Budget Home Office / Craft Room Makeover

Budget home office makeover!

Comments

1. JaimeR says

Looks great!!! I see it pinned many times over! :) I think I’d just sit in there all day and stare at it’s loveliness!!

• Barb Hesselgrave says

Looks beautiful. I am going to try to use your ideas in my new home in Yorktown, Indiana, which is just up the road from your home. Too bad we aren’t neighbors so you could come over and give me ideas.

• Chelsea says

Congrats on the new home, Barb! You know, I’ve lived in Indiana my entire life, and I’ve never been to Yorktown/Muncie. I’ll have to put it on my list of places to visit. And if we were neighbors and I came over I’d expect lots of cookies. ;)

WOW!! It looks great! I love that you mixed “old” and “new”. The craigslisted chair is gorgeous!! I love that and mason jars with the brand new shelves.

By the way, I used to make 8 hours trips to Pittsburgh before Ikea made it to Cincinnati. I am super glad it it here, now!

Chelsea, this is beautiful! I have the expedit also, but mine looks nothing like that! I am inspired. When we move and I get a new room that is crammed with junk, this is happening. Very nice!

GAH!!!! Love, love, LUUUURVE it!!! The pink, blue, & white just look so fresh and girly and clean! Can you come help me finish my office?? I have a lot of aqua & white, and I have been trying to figure out whether to incorporate a 3rd color. I love all of the different jars that you used to display everything, (I am obsessed with my aqua Ball jars, too!) and those storage boxes are so pretty!! Can’t wait to read more of the deets tomorrow! GORGEOUS!!
    Casey O recently posted..Living Spaces: How to Organize Cords & De-Clutter Your Media CabinetMy Profile

I absolutely love this post! It’s inspiring and has great timing, I’m making the 3 hour trek out to the Charlotte Ikea this weekend. I think it’s sweet that you use so many of your family’s gifts and furniture in your design, makes it so much more personalized. Thanks for all the great photos.

6. Brenda B. says

I am in awe of your office makeover! It’s just perfect.. I want to drive over 3 hrs. to that same IKEA and get that same storage unit for my wall in a spare bedroom, so that I can store all my yarn.. Thanks for sharing this journey with us on your blog! I look forward to your posts! Blessings..

This. Looks. Amazing It actually makes me really want an Expedit for toy storage. I think you’ve sold me. Although, my way of decorating would never look as good as yours.

I also love the way you have positioned your desk in the room. Really posh. Everything looks fabulous.

Consider yourself pinned.
    Kim@NewlyWoodwards recently posted..Our updated living roomMy Profile

8. Deb L. says

OMG – this room is perfect! I wish I could move in. VERY inspiring…my office is a work in progress; seeing your room has made me suddenly want to get into gear and finish my room. : ) Thanks so much for sharing.

Wow, Chelsea! This is just beautiful. Makes me so happy to know that you have a gorgeous space like this to let your creativity loose! You are one talented woman, that’s for sure!

10. Alison Schluenz says

Oh my goodness, it looks great! I can’t believe I was just looking at that exact same Expedit bookshelf/desk combo yesterday on the Ikea website while I was home from work because of another mega-blizzard! Except I can’t go to Ikea because the nearest for me is in Schaumburg (by Chicago) but now I know I definitely want this office set up! Great work! I agree, it takes a long time for a whole room to come together!

Wow, you office turned out great. It is so beautiful, feminine and down right pretty! I love the Expedit and desk set up and all the simple organization to you added. You will definitely enjoy this space and be inspired in it. Great job.
    All the best,
    Shelly

12. Melanie @ S{Thomp}ing Ground says

I love this so much! It’s beautiful! It’s funny because before reading this I would have said I don’t like pink, but now I was this space! It’s the perfect mix of girly and sophisticated. Thank you for the inspiration for when I tackle my home office! I love that you were honest about the length of time it took. Sometimes I see things like this and feel like I could beer tackle it, but I love seeing how small steps at a time can get you there. It’s truly a gorgeous space and I hope you are just loving your time spent there as much as I imagine I would! :)

Chelsea,
    This is the best re-do I have ever seen and love the color pink too! Pink is not just for girls , you should see how cute my 3 year old little dark skinned grandson looks in his pink shirt! What a great job you did on everything and your pictures were wonderful. Thank you for sharing the sentiment attached to some of your belongings, very nice!

14. Katie says

Seriously… love how clean and organized your craft room is… Very spacious too! I use to have the large Expedit but my craft room shrunk in size in our new home so we had to downsize to the smaller one and then stacked another smaller expedit on top. Your room is beautiful! You should be proud!

I was JUST looking at the Expedit unit online last night. My only concern is that I’d like to use the table for cutting fabric and other projects and I’m not sure it’s big enough. BUT, I just had a crazy idea…would it be possible to attached two of the desk parts to the bookshelf? Make it a huge work surface instead of a desk?
    Andrea @ This Pug Life recently posted..Pug Reviews: Zuke’s Z-Bones + GiveawayMy Profile

• Chelsea says

Two desks would be too wide for the 6×6 Expedit (the largest they make). The 6×6 is 75″ wide. One desk is 45″ so two would be wider than the shelving unit. Unless that wouldn’t bother you. The desk is 45″ x 30 3/4 ” so it’s a sizable surface to work on. Good luck!

Completely amazing. It looks gorgeous! I want to move into that room and never ever leave. The storage shelf unit thing is awesome, and I really love the little reading nook, too. Great job!
    Rachel recently posted..March 2013 GoalsMy Profile

17. Reilly says

Gorgeous, just, gorgeous!
    I am with you, I don’t see why people complain about assembling Ikea furniture either.

18. Lindsey says

I love the Expedit! I really wish I had seen it before I bought my West Elm desk. So much storage! Love the room!

19. Diane says

Loving your,
    Home Office Makeover, the lovely light and airy feel the room now has, your choice of furniture is Practical and stylish, it now looks like a very serene Working environment, inspiring even. Your project has given me lots of great top tips, to help me makeover our study. I’m no longer lost for ideas, and I have a solid place to start from now. Thank you so much for sharing all your great ideas, and the photo’s are fabulous… Dee xx

Holy Gorgeous!! I bet you’re so glad it’s finished! My favorite part is the reading nook. I am a sucker for a cozy space….

Where did you find your small spools of baker’s twine? And I assume your filing boxes on the expedit are also Ikea?

WOWZA!!! I absolutely love this office! It’s a perfect woman cave…now if we only had the extra bedroom to make 1 whole room just for me, that would be fab! ;) I too am in the process of creating a craft space in our only spare bedroom. I say space, because the room is tiny, therefore my crafting area will be even smaller. Sigh. Anyways, love your craft room…it gives this girl even more inspiration! :)
    Kayla recently posted..A Few Of His Favorite ThingsMy Profile

Woah!!! This is completely gorgeous!! I am seriously IN LOVE with everything (especially those white Ikea storage boxes:) They are so totally effective and so totally cheap too! My favorite part has to be the way you displayed the progress throughout the years in the last photo collage:) How, if you don’t mind me asking, did you do that…….is it a PSD template……do share (if you want to:)
    Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!
    xoxo, Brooke
    Brooke @ Design Stash recently posted..Putting a Living Room TogetherMy Profile

• Chelsea says

Thanks so much, Brooke! The boxes are definitely effective and cheap! I made the collage in Photoshop but I didn’t use a template. I placed the images, outlined them, and added the circles and text. You can always make collages with PicMonkey, and then open the collage in Photoshop to add text. Hope this helps!

23. LIsa A. says

Wow! Can I move in? I think I’d actually want to “work” if I had an office like yours! You did a fabulous job!

24. Rachel says

Your office is beautiful. On behalf of the whole internet, I am jealous of your woman cave.

Also, where did you get the awesome (ceramic? plaster? painted plastic?) whale? It’s so fun! :)

• Chelsea says

Thanks, Rachel! The ceramic whale is from Kohls. I got it a few weeks ago so it’s probably still available.

25. Jen L. says

GORGEOUS! Some people just know how to nail it when decorating, and you are one of them!! It’s perfectly put together, so fresh and bright. I just love this space! The little jelly jars displays are my favorite!! Great transformation!

Hi Chelsea,
    I’m a new follower of your blog and I really enjoy it! This office makeover reveal could not have come at a better time, I’m just doing my office, for the first time in our current house, and I absolutely love what you did! My office will be pink, white with some splashes of red. I thought about the IKEA piece too, but I had already made a desk from an old door that I love, so I had to go a different way, still in progress. Thanks for sharing such great organizational ideas and a gorgeous, happy work space.

Cathy :-)

27. Jennifer says

I have been going back and forth for a while now on if I should buy the Ikea Expedit Workstation. After looking at your office with it I am for sure going to buy it!

This room is gorgeous!!! I love everything about it. We have the Expedit shelving in my living room and love it!! We also went with those same cardboard boxes and were very sad when they started falling apart after a short while. If you ever need to replace them, I actually sell some cubes that would work perfect with your theme. The party punch chevron colors would look beautiful. http://www.thirtyonegifts.com/Catalog/Product/242/index.html

Again. I LOVE this!!! I will dream about having an office like this someday. :-)

• Chelsea says

Hah! Good question. I have a laptop and it happened to be in my living room when I took the photos.

Love this room! IKEA has the best craft room furniture! And I especially love the feminine touches around the room! It’s the perfect place to get away with so much pink! I just redid my craft room as well!! Visiting from Crafty Scrappy Happy Link Party!
    Tabitha recently posted..New Craft Room Reveal!My Profile

Your room is fantastic, Chelsea! I’m a big fan of IKEA office furniture, especially the Expedit — so very versatile and clean looking. I have several pieces in my craft room, which is going to be getting an updated reveal this next week. If I didn’t have to cook the occasional meal or wash a load of laundry, I doubt I would ever leave my “room!”

Drooling!! Seriously. What I would give to just be able to keep items on my shelves, let alone have them so beautifully filled and organized!
    haha I’ll just keep pretending that I can work in this space until my littles aren’t so little any more.
    Chrissy Jordan recently posted..F-it Friday Link Up Party #13My Profile

absolutely gorgeous! i love how clean everything is with all the white and then those great splashes of color! Pinning for when I have my own craft room instead of my dining room table. :-)
    eva scott recently posted..Easter GarlandMy Profile

What a beautiful makeover! I cannot decide what is my favorite part. I love the art on the walls, but I also love how clever you were with storage and organization. I will definitely be using some of these ideas. Thank you so much for the inspiration!
    Erin {Home Everyday} recently posted..Snack Time: Cheesey BreadMy Profile

34. Vel says

Super adorable space! You guys did a terrific job! I also think you styled it perfectly! Thank you for sharing this!

Pretty! I love how that you went all out and made it so feminine. Good point on the side table from Goodwill! I see those all the time, and think about what they could look like, but I always worry they’ll be too dated with the undulating legs (stands? posts? I’m not sure what to call those). Clearly I was wrong!

Hi, I’m visiting from Design, Dining + Diapers. Your home office makeover is absolutely beautiful! I love everything about it. Great job! I’m pinning it to my dream sewing and craft room board. Have a great day!

Debbie
    Debbie recently posted..Removing the Bathroom MirrorMy Profile

My hubby and I share our creative space. My side is all filled with crafty stuff and his is all filled with hunting and reloading equipment. I am still trying to find a balance between making it girly enough for me, but not too girly for him! It is definitely a work in progress! Your room is gorgeous. I love the colors and how organized it is. What a great space to work in. :)
    Laura @ Laura’s Crafty Life recently posted..Rainbow JelloMy Profile

OMG it’s simply gorgeous!!! I was at ikea just yesterday, good thing I didn’t see your post before that or I would have purchased the whole furniture despite not having room to place it!! Haha thanks for sharing!
    Love from Italy
    Ww

39. Illeanna knapp says

Hi ! This is amazing and something to be so proud of! We are currently in process of building my dream craft room…it is a step by step process and not a quick one. Once it is complete it will be my little oasis!…thnks for sharing your room! It’s beautiful!

Hello! I stumbled upon your site via Pinterest while i was looking for a curtain tutorial (thank you). I also have an Expedit setup, but I thought I should urge you to check out the drawer, paper sorter, and cabinet door options for the cubbies. I especially enjoy the drawers for easy access to pens, pencils and the like. Look forward to keeping up with you.

This is beautiful! I have been dreaming of that same desk for a few months now for the same type of space! It is good to see it in a room! I must get this desk…the closest Ikea to me is also 2 hours away (Minneapolis.) There need to be more Ikea’s in the world…it would be a happier place! Great makeover!
    Cassie recently posted..Shabby Chic Girly HatMy Profile

42. Lindsay says

Chelsea, your blog is awesome! I am a self-professed Pinterest addict and normally I’m not much of a blog reader, but I am actually bookmarking yours! Your ideas are actually doable and affordable, and I love your sense of humour! Thanks for the inspiration :)

Your office is darling! I had to visit a fellow Indy Girl blogger via Thrifty Decor Chick, and love what you did — plus I totally agree that a girl cave is a must . . . especially living in my house with three boys!
    Kerry recently posted..Happy hour . . . at homeMy Profile

This makeover looks great! My sister and I just put together a bunch of those bookcases and they aren’t hard at all but you are totally right about the tiny wrench thing! I discovered this on Thrifty Decor Chick! I am a new Indiana blogger! And an IU alum as well:) We live in West Carmel now. Your site is awesome and very impressive! It is so much to learn, this blogging world. Can’t wait to follow you along. Stop by and say hello! It am so excited to learn about other local bloggers!! BTW, love the color combo for your wedding attire. I saw the green dresses in your picture wall! So pretty!

Laura
    De

45. Marcie Smith says

Wow, beautiful room. I really like the shelves!!! will have to check those out. They really look sturdy, witch is hard to find these days. TFS
    Marcie

46. Danette says

I really love this work space but I have to ask where did you get the pink storage bins like your whitre ones from ikea? I am having to take my office/craft room and put it into our bedroom and i think this is very compact and will work great in our room!

47. Danette says

I really love this work space but I have to ask where did you get the pink storage bins like your white ones from ikea? I am having to take my office/craft room and put it into our bedroom and i think this is very compact and will work great in our room!

48. Betty819 says

What a beautiful room! The colors are so soft and pretty and gives such an elegant yet relaxing look to the room. I know you have to love working in there; it’s so pretty. I keep seeing this Ikea Expedit unit popping up in many decorating blogs. Does that table/desk come with the book shelves? We went to Ikea about a month ago but it is such a hugh place and on a Sunday, it was swamped with people. They’ve got the place laid out so you have to go into every dept. whether you want to or not, it’s like a maze! My husband is not very mobile and we didn’t see wheelchairs till we were on our way out. Finally had to ask an employee how to get out of the store. We had gone up/down on the elevators trying to find an exit. We weren’t the only ones as there were others trying to do the same. Finally the young lady told us to follow her and she used a keycard to open the exit door for us. Did you already have the beautiful chair or buy it after you purchased the bookcase work station? Does everything come in a box and you have to put it together or is the bookcase delivered like that?

49. Lori says

This room is beautiful and inspirational and now I know what to do with my loft space that I use as an office/craft room.

You may have studied at a famous culinary school, may even have the degree and skills to
    show off that you are a good chef, and may even be appointed as the head chef by the management, but do you
    have what it takes to be a good leader. Certain tiles like
    granite floor tiles tend to accent a kitchen well. Price
    can greatly range when shopping for kitchen materials, but choosing the cheapest materials won’t always save you money as they might wear
    out prematurely.
    Kuchyne Na Mieru recently posted..Kuchyne Na MieruMy Profile

Very nice. I am torn between an almost identical layout for my office and using 2 Expedit units starting from the corner, with a small desk along the wall in between, with a second desk perpendicular to the first. Sort of making a corner desk with space above it for a magnetic whiteboard and open shelves. Been thinking it over for 2 years now so I know what you mean when you say it takes a long time for a room to come together!
    jasmine recently posted..{review} Melinda’s Gluten Free GoodiesMy Profile

52. Mrs Bee says

Found your blog when I was looking for office ideas using Ikea Expedit. What are the storage bins you are using here? I like the look of Expedit, but the big square bins that go with it are huge and a little too big for what I want. You seems to have a variety of different sizes.

53. Elianne Naut says

Hi,
    I love the office make over. I’m the process of updating my office and I just love the paint color. What is it??
    Thanks,
    Eli

54. Marilyn says

Loved, loved, loved it. The blanket from your great aunt it gorgeous. Would she be willing to share her pattern or where she got it? Really great that it was all one color…shows off the stitches so well!

LOVE this office!! Makes me really sad that Expedit is being discontinued. They have something like it but no 5×5 yet or a desk extension. Maybe they’ll have it later down the line

56. Lizzie says

Looks great. I LOVE the Expedit collection. Did you still want to sell the wedding program box and card box? I might be interested!
    Email me? :)

57. Natalie Stephenson says

Hi there Chelsea,
    I am the Social Media Manager for Nufloors Flooring in Canada… I also write their blogs for them. I want to let you know that we chose to feature one of the Makeovers posted on your website! Our blog will give you full recognition and have LINKS to your website.
    Please let me know if you are ok with this extra exposure?… If so, I will also send you a LINK to the Blog once it’s LIVE later next week!

Thank you!

Natalie Stephenson

Hi! I’m Brent. I’ve heard that the French tutoring, German tuition, Spanish tutoring and 11 Plus tuition at bespoke languages tuition are the best around. Can anyone confirm this? We’ve been told they’re global?