Dresser Turned TV Stand

So remember back in March when I dragged Brad into a not-so-nice neighborhood to buy a $50 dresser from a delightful man on house arrest? You don’t? Here’s a refresher. Remember how I said that “I have big plans for this beauty.  Big plans”?  Well, today is your lucky day, friends.

I give you: Craigslist dresser turned custom TV stand.

dresser tv stand

Isn’t my model adorable? He’s available for bookings. But please note that the only payment he accepts is treats.

The original dresser was kind of pretty, but it needed way too much work.  Painting over all the imperfections was the easiest way to go.

dresser+before

It fits our 47 inch TV and all of Brad’s our electronics perfectly. And there’s plenty of storage for DVDs, video games, and video game accessories in the drawers. I flanked the TV with the peony topiaries I made for our wedding.

diy+tv+stand

diy tv stand 1

I kept the original hardware for four of the drawers. I spruced them up a bit with some spray paint.

dresser turned tv stand

I used hardware I had laying around (purchased from the Hobby Lobby clearance section) on the other two drawers.

After priming it with two coats of Zinsser (with Penetrol), I painted it with Valspar ultra white latex paint conditioned with Floetrel.  I used leftover grey paint from my sewing machine cabinet makeover for the detail on the drawers.

dresser to tv stand

In order to make a shelf for the electronics, I took out the top drawers.

I explain how I made the shelf here.

from tv stand to dresser

I lined the dovetailed drawers with shelf liner I found at Marshalls.

I paid $6 for two rolls, and I have a roll and a half left. Hmm, I wonder what other shelves and drawers can I line in our house…

diy tv stand dresser

In case you’re wondering, here’s the breakdown of how much dough I sunk into this beauty.

Dresser: $50
Wood for electronics shelf: $16
Primer: $10 (I have 1/2 gallon left)
Shelf liner: $3 (I have a bunch leftover)
Hardware: $4
Paint: $0 (already had it)
Spray paint: $0 (already had it)
Grey detail paint: $0 (already had it)

TOTAL: $83

Want all the details on how I transformed this beast into the beauty it is now?

Click here!

Make your own dresser TV stand!

Comments

gah!!! I love your revamp. We are about to do the same thing (the furniture revamp part) because we have a very unattractive TV stand as well! You did an amazing job!

I love everything about this. But let me get this straight: your husband let you drag him to a sketchtastic neighborhood AND then let you put pinkish knobs on your purchase AND pink topiaries next to the TV? How did you accomplish this? Did you threaten to take him back to the ghetto? My husband lets me do what I want with our house, but there is a pretty firm NO PINK rule, which includes off-shoots of pink (it’s all pink to a man) such as coral and peach. There is also a firm NO DECORATIONS NEXT TO THE TV rule. Boys. :)

Amazing transformation! Those topiaries look familiar…are they wedding decorations? Or am I off my rocker? I love how they tie in with the knobs on the middle drawers.

I also love the blue drawer liner. I need to get me some of that.

Gorgeous! I love that you kept the original hardware :) I’m in the middle of a dresser turned entertainment center remodel right now and I can’t wait until it’s over! Who knew that it would take 5 coats of paint?!

Ugh, I love this so much it hurts. Makes me want to get rid of my actual media center for something with this much character!

WOW! seriously, that is gorgeous. I can’t decide what I like better, the mixing of hardwares, which looks amazing, or the detail painted grey! How did you do that, by the way? a teeny tiny brush? I dont know how you got it so perfect!

LOVE IT! We use a coffee table as our TV stand. I desperately want something else but don’t want to pay for anything. I would love to do something like this!

I was just talking to my husband about trying to find a dresser to turn into a TV stand. Our baby keeps getting into the one we have, so we need something a little higher and baby proof. Your blog it too cute. Saw your about me…I’m from Kentucky and a Sigma Kappa. I don’t know if we can be friends ;) Anywho I’m your newest follower and I would love it if you checked out my blog:

I have been looking for something like this for my boys’ room, but I haven’t tried Craigslist yet. I hadn’t thought of taking out the top drawers like that! Perfect! I love the topiaries, too.

This turned out awesome! And what a great story…the whole ghetto thing. We recently turned a dresser into TV stand, but it orginally came from my husband’s Grandmother, so it is a little more sentimental. One day I will actually take pictures of said TV stand and blog about it. One day.

This is beautiful! I love it! I’ve been working on repainting old furniture and I am admiring how smooth this paint job looks! I’m having difficulty getting a smooth finish without sanding for 2 hours between coats!

Wow! Such an amazing makeover! We had a TV stand that was very similar to your original and right now we’re using only a slightly classier Ikea alternative. My husband refuses to accompany me on used furniture pick ups, but I did bring my Dad with me when I had to go to a really skeezy area! It was totally worth it.

Visiting from Liz Marie’s new link party :)

Wow, so pretty! and what a creative idea to use a dresser as a tv stand!
    Thanks so much for linking up. Please grab a button or link back, and make sure to keep checking our FB page for updates on weekly winners. :)

this looks great, i especially like the gray details. you cracked me up with “college called” b/c that truly was a college piece, or else total bachelor. i will one day get the nerve to paint a realy piece of furniture, but until then, i like to look at people who are braver than i.

It is beautiful!!! I tried that with my husband’s grandmother’s dresser, but it wasn’t working – now we have an ikea TV stand! Wish I would have stuck it out – looks awesome!

This looks fantastic! Once I saw your old TV stand, I had to comment. We had one similar to that, and the hubs just didnt see anything wrong with it. I mean, yes it was functional, but I was ready to move on to something a little more grown up, lol. Great job!!

Great transformation! I kind of liked the finish on the original piece but agree that it would have been too much work. Oh, how I love the power of paint and the use of power tools to help transform the worn into a materpiece! This is my first visit. Love your fun and casual conversational writing and your photos are gorgeous! Hmmm……..I think this is definitely magazine worthy so I don’t think my project has much of a chance with all the amazing talent out her in blog land but a girl can hope and dream!

18. Josh says

My fiancee and I are thinking about doing this after seeing how well yours turned out. When you spray painted it before adding the primer, what did you use? And did you spray paint the whole thing? Thanks!

Thanks a bunch for sharing this wiyh all people
    you actually recognize what you are speaking about! Bookmarked.

Kindly alkso visit my wevsite =). We could have a
    link exchange conract among us
    Natalie recently posted..NatalieMy Profile

Heya i’m for that most important moment in this article. I stumbled onto this aboard i in finding This process valuable & it helped me to out a good deal. I hope to present anything rear plus assistance some others that you solved the problem.