Card Table Makeover

It’s Pinterest Challenge: winter edition time, my friends!  Let’s get this party started!

My project for this challenge is (drum roll, please) a card table makeover.

card table makeover

My pinspiration was this card table which was covered with a vinyl tablecloth.  Very clever.  I would have gone this route had I not had a bunch of extra fabric (Waverly Parterre) from a recent project.  I saw this as being responsible and putting the fabric to use instead of hoarding storing it.  A trip to JoAnn Fabric for some vinyl, and I was ready to glam up the table.

(Please pin from the original source or click on the image below and repin from Pinterest.)

Card tables are boring.  Here’s our snoozefest of a black card table and chairs.  These definitely wouldn’t leave an impression at a potluck.

black card table

Start by flipping the table on its top and removing the screws.

how to reupholster a card table

Then, pull the black vinyl off the table top.  Try not to let your staples fly everywhere.

how to recover card table

Flip the table top over.  Lay your fabric on top of the thin layer of padding.  Situate your fabric accordingly.  This will be more difficult if you have a large, symmetrical pattern– keep your tape measure and sanity handy.

fabric covered card table

Once you have your fabric aligned, flip the table top over and begin to hot glue the fabric.  You can staple the fabric, but I felt more comfortable hot gluing the fabric.

how to make over a card table

Flip over your table top once you’ve glued down the edges of the fabric.

reupholstered card table

Optional: lint roll your fabric.  Recommended if you own a shed-tastic dog or cat.

recover a card table

Grab your vinyl, lay it on your table top, and trim it so there’s about an inch of overhang.

I bought one and a half yards of 4 gauge clear vinyl from JoAnn Fabric.  I believe it was $3-4 per yard.  I used a 40% off coupon so I got mine for less than $5.  Use those 40% off coupons, people.

how do you reupholster a card table

Flip the table top over again.  Staple the edges of the vinyl to the bottom of the table top.  Make sure your staples are the appropriate length.

card table makeover

Once you’ve stapled down the vinyl, flip over the table top, and reattach the table top to the frame with the screws.  And you’re done!

Your revamped card table will be the talk of Bunco, bridge, Pinochle, or whatever it is you play with your peeps.

card table makeover with fabric

And because everyone loves a before and after side by side image.

card table makeover before and after

You could also recover the chairs but I’m not that ambitious.  The table was enough for me.

Pinterest-Challenge-banner-1-winter_

The Pinterest Challege: Winter Edition is hosted by Katie from Bower Power, Sherry from Young House Love (my BFF), Megan from The Remodeled Life, and my blog buddy Michelle from Decor and the Dog.

What do you think about the card table makeover?
Think it’s something you’d try?
Did you participate in the Pinterest Challenge?  If so, I’m excited to check out what you created!

two twenty one

Comments

Such a cute creative idea!!! I found your blog through I heart organizing, and I love it! My husband and I just bought our first home, and I’m looking forward to doing some diy projects that I’ve seen from your blog! Especially the stenciled filing cabinet can’t wait!! Thanks for your fun creativity!!

carefreeblonde.blogspot.com

I love this! Totally pinning it! This would be perfect for a spare room in our house that I want to be able to do crafts and projects in, but still easily move the table out when someone needs to stay. I also have a million things I could do with that clear vynil.

I have a kind of unrelated question for you… I started a blog last month and I just have a little point-and-shoot Nikon that I used for all my pictures and I know they look terrible. I don’t really have a huge budget for a really nice camera but I’ve seen a couple “real” cameras for under $200. Do you think it would be worth it for me to get one of those or am I better off waiting and saving up for a really good one? Are there any that you recommend for someone who knows nothing about photography? Ever since you answered you Bloggiversary questions I can’t stop thinking about how terrible my pictures are!

Before I host the next holiday I am so doing this. It will eliminate anyone pulling the over sized table cloth off when it gets stuck between their knees and they stand up. Not to mention it looks really pretty so I’m pinning it.

Bliss
    Bliss recently posted..Guest Post at Kirb AppealMy Profile

I AM TOTALLY DOING THIS. Seriously. Brilliant. It’s actually perfect because my card table is all ripped up so it totally needs a makeover anyhow. And I totally want to make the chairs match, too. And spray paint it all. OhmywordI’msoexcited.

This really looks great. Such an improvement. And it looks sort of simple. At least not terribly long-term of a project.

OOooh, I LOVE this! I’ve toyed with the idea of doing a small kids’ table for when family comes over, or even just for Forrest to play with/do his art/etc, but they’re never very cute. Or if they are cute, they cost a million bajillion dollars. This would be an awesome way to have a mess-proof kids’ table, too. I love it, and that fabric is perfecto!
    Rachel recently posted..February Goal ReviewMy Profile

I love everything about this! Especially for a table that sits out for puzzles or crafts. I’m new to sewing and I didn’t know about clear vinyl! I love that it gives you more options for patterns.

7. Yvonne says

We had a card table at church that the legs were loose. Also sat a hot pan on a vinyl tablecover during a church luncheon. We used the good end of the ruined vinyl tablecover and cut it to fit the card table. Recovered the table top, spray painted the legs to cover the scratches and dings, had my husband tighten up the legs and it looked like a new table. So for $4.oo to replace the melted tablecover, and $3.00 for the spray paint, the church got a new card table. Blessings all around. Also invested in a few trivets for the table so we don’t melt anymore tablecovers!

Unquestionably consider that that you stated. Your favourite justification
    seemed to be on the web the easiest factor to be aware of.
    I say to you, I certainly get annoyed while other folks consider worries that they
    just don’t know about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the highest and also outlined out the entire thing with no need side effect , people can take a signal. Will probably be back to get more. Thank you
    Carlos Danger recently posted..Carlos DangerMy Profile

This just inspired me to offer a new addition to my vinyl business – vinyl table coverings. This is such a nice way to jazz up your table and add personality.