Tomato Cage Christmas Tree

I’ve been trying to figure out how to decorate the massive planter on our front porch for Christmas for a while now.  We can’t move the planter because it weighs a ton on its own and we filled it with rocks and dirt so it’s at least 300 pounds.  So I had to come up with a way to use it in our outside Christmas decor.  Enter the tomato cage Christmas tree.
GREAT tutorial! It only cost her $14 to make this!

Here’s what you’ll need.

1 tomato cage, 1 strand of 100 lights*, 3 strands of 9 foot garland*, zip ties

I started by attaching my strand of lights to my garland with zip ties.  You don’t have to do this, I figured it would help disperse the lights evenly.

I used 1 strand of lights on 2 strands of garland.
*I miscalculated how much garland I needed.  I could have used 4 strands instead of 3 for more coverage.  So I if you want full coverage go with 4 strands of garland and 2 strands of lights.  Because I miscalculated, I used 3 strands of garland, 1 strand of 100 lights, and 1 strand of 50 lights.  Whew. I hope you got all of that.

I used pliers to bend the stakes of the tomato cage together to form a point.  I secured the point with a zip tie.

I started at the bottom (well, actually the top) of the tomato cage and started wrapping upward.  I secured the garland to the cage by wrapping pieces of the garland onto the cage.

Keep wrapping the garland around the cage until you get to the top.

I shifted the garland slightly up on the cage because I put the bottom section into the soil in the planter. To secure the tree from blowing over, I used some extra landscaping bricks and covered them with soil.  I added a bow and some poinsettias to the tree to give it some pizzazz.

This project took about an hour from start to finish.

Here’s the breakdown of my costs:
tomato cage: free
garland: $9 (Black Friday find at JoAnn)
lights: $2.50 (Walmart)
zip ties: free (thanks, honey!)
bow: $2.50 (JoAnn)
poinsettias: free (leftover from last Christmas)

GRAND TOTAL: $14

We hope to get all of our outside Christmas lights up this week.  I’ll be sure to share photos with you once we get them up.

Want to learn how to make 3 different tomato cage Christmas trees in varying heights by using 3 tomato cages of the same size?  Check out my tutorial here!
How to make tomato cage Christmas trees! Plus, how to make three different sizes!

Comments

Twins!! This is too funny. I had 2 HUGE tomato cages in my living room floor yesterday that I was going to do this craft on until I went into the basement for supplies and found where I had bought 3 pop up, pre lit Christmas trees on clearance last year! I put those suckers up instead, but yours looks great. I LOVE that bow on top! Well done :)

How cute! I wanted to do the same thing, but didn’t know where I could find tomato cages at the end of November (granted, I didn’t even look, so it wasn’t a very big effort . . . ). It looks so great!

I love the lights! We did this last year with tinsel garland and held the cage down with tent stakes in the front flowerbed. It has rained so much in the last week, I can’t even get to the shed to start decorating…so I am very jealous of you…LOL. Thanks for sharing!

I wish I would have seen this before I hung up all of my garlands. :) Maybe I’ll have to go buy a few more. I think it’s darling!

I would love you to submit this to the Make and Takes spotlight page–http://www.makeandtakes.com/spotlight

This is the cutest thing! Thanks for the tutorial. I’ve heard about these tomato cage Christmas trees and thought how fun it would be to make one, but the thought just stayed in my head! ;) What a welcoming sight to your guests!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

6. Sue D. says

Great idea. It is so easy, I hope to do more than one and put a couple on my patio for my back yard neighbors to enjoy.

Thank you so much for sharing this!!! I ran to the store and bought the supplies! I am going to be doing a craft show selling ornaments and was ALL over the internet trying to find ideas! Yours trees are perfect!!! I plan on talking about it on my blog, I will link you so others can come see the tutorial you have! I told my husband it was money well spent because not only can I use it for the show, but for us too here at the house! Thanks again!
    Lisa recently posted..LogoMy Profile

8. Barbara A Large' says

I used the tomato cage, covering it with 150 white mini lights, covering it with 80′ of white/silver garland and hung 40 each mini balls in purple and hot pink. This was very pretty (and different) if you wanted something other than the traditional tree.

I bought these artificial trees that came in urns a few years back – they were already pre-lit but I had the worse time keeping them from blowing over. Last year I thought I would put sand in the urn and OMG what a mess it made – the trees are heavier than the urn even with sand. But maybe bricks of some sort would help keep them from blowing over – not sure – but they look really nice when they can stand up straight – ha!! Thanks for sharing your idea – love it!!

Linda
    Linda recently posted..20% Off at Vision DirectMy Profile

I love this idea! I have a big planter that I want to repurpose (it was a flower tower that I made over the summer) and I think it would be great to use it to make a mini tree for my home’s front porch. Great idea! Thanks so much for posting.
    Lauren recently posted..Christmas DecoratingMy Profile