Sweater Presents {DIY}

Yesterday I showed you guys my card catalog Christmas vignette.  And today I’m back to show you how I made the sweater presents.  Get. Excited.

It’s kind of crazy the things you can do with old sweaters.  I’ve seen people cover different objects with sweaters: vases, wreaths, pillows, candle holders, furniture, lampshades, cuffs, trees.  The possibilities are endless.  When I was putting together my card catalog Christmas vignette I realized that I needed something tall to put on top of the card catalog in the back for some height.  Light bulb.  Cover the canvases that have been sitting in my home office for months with sweaters and make them look like presents.  I have a genius thought every now and then.

Here’s what you’ll need:
• sweater
• canvas or a rectangular object (piece of wood, picture frame, etc.)
• hot glue
• ribbon

I picked up the cable knit sweaters at Goodwill on half off Saturday so they were $2.25 each.   To save money I would have used pieces of wood, but I already had two canvases collecting dust so I just went with them.  This could easily be a $5 or less project.

I started by cutting off the arms of the sweater, and then separating the front from the back.  I laid the back of the sweater on the canvas and centered it so there was about an inch of overhang on all four sides.

Then, I flipped the canvas over and started hot gluing the sweater to the canvas frame.

Now, on to the ribbon.  I cut two pieces of ribbon, centered them, flipped over the canvas, and hot glued the ribbons into place.

I made a bow with the ribbon and hot glued it where the ribbons intersect.  It’s as simple as that.

This whole project took about 15-20 minutes.  In case you’re wondering, my canvas sizes are 16×20 and 11×14.

Don’t throw away your sweater scraps!  I saved the front of the sweater so I can cover something else with it.   I saved the arms, cut them down to about 8 inches, and attempted to turn them into faux riding boot socks but I ended up looking like Santa Claus from the knees down.  Perhaps you’ll have better luck than me.

I’m sort of in love with my sweater creations but I’m biased.  Now I find myself thinking of other things I can cover with sweaters.  Nothing is safe.

Christmas decor

What do you think of the sweater presents?
Have you covered anything with a sweater, other than your body?
Don’t you love cable knit?  It’s my favorite.

Want more Christmas goodness in your life?  Check out my other holiday projects here.

Stalk away!

Comments

I love these! Have you seen Target’s sweater Christmas trees? They’re just cones that are covered with cable knit sweater material! Everytime I’m there I think “I could make those!” and then never do… Perhaps someday.

• chelsea says

Girl, don’t even get me started about GW prices. Lately I’ve only shopped at the regular GW stores on half off Saturday. GW Outlet is my place. Do you have a GW Outlet in your neck of the woods?

• chelsea says

Oh no, taking a step stool is totally not going too far. You should go shopping with another tall person or me. I’m 5’10″ so I’m always the girl who’s getting things off tall shelves for petite people like yourself. :)

2. Anne @wit wisdom and food says

These are great I love cable knit and have been envious of pillows and other things made with it. Now I know how easy and inexpensive it cold be. Thanks
    Anne @wit wisdom and food recently posted..star light star brightMy Profile

I love this project! I’ve seen so many great sweater Christmas decorations lately…gotta get to Goodwill so I can join in on the fun!

Thanks for hosting this Dare to DIY party…I have a tendency of starting lots of projects but not finishing them, so this helped give me the kick in the rear I needed!
    Ashley recently posted..Winter WreathMy Profile

• chelsea says

Thanks, Ashley! And thanks for linking up! You had such great projects! Glad we could give you the kick in the rear you needed.

Love, love, love how these turned out. And good score on the sweaters. I am always keeping my eye out for wool and shaker sweaters at the thrift stores to do craft projects with. I was thinking you could also wrap a picture you already have laying around and unwrap it after Christmas or even in the spring. Thanks again for hosting!
    Kristi recently posted..Chocolate-Mint PinwheelsMy Profile

5. Jera says

Hey I want to know what you keep in your card catalog? I have a couple small one but I haven’t come up with a brilliant idea of what to keep in them yet! Lol

Awesome decorations!