Greeting Card Organizer

I swear I’m the most random person when it comes to organization.  Is my sock drawer organized?  Nope.  My closet?  Shyeah right.  Spice cabinet?  Hah!  But are my greeting cards organized?  Oh, you betcha.  Seriously.  There’s something wrong with me.

greeting card organizer

Now, you may be asking yourself, “Who the heck hoards greeting cards?”  Um, this chick.  If I have time to kill in Target I’ll peruse the greeting card aisle in attempt to find the best cards, especially birthday cards.  Because really good, funny birthday cards are hard to come by.  I’m notorious among my closest friends for sending them cards on their birthdays.  I’m like their sweet grandma friend, always remembering their birthdays.  Although I doubt their grandmas send them birthday cards with unicorns farting rainbows or awkward band nerds on the front.  I can use the term ‘band nerd’ because I played the clarinet from 5th to 10th grade.  Third chair.  Booyah.

For the longest time I kept my greeting cards organized in a big binder.  I sectioned off the binder by greeting card topic (birthday, get well, wedding, etc.) and stored the cards in those clear plastic page protector jobbies.  It worked for a while, but cards would fall out and I started to run out of room.

greeting card binder

A couple years ago I came across a greeting card organizer on Amazon.com and added it to my Amazon wishlist.  Side note: I highly recommend creating an Amazon wishlist for Christmas and birthday gift ideas.  People don’t even have to buy your item from Amazon, but they can mark on the list that they purchased it from somewhere else.  You’ll never have to worry about people asking what you want because you can direct them to your list.  Anyway, back to the greeting card organizer.  This Christmas one was all mine, thanks to Brad’s lovely grandparents.

greeting card organizer 1

It’s a lovely little plastic box that features removable separators that can be labeled (I used my label maker).  I had to double and triple up some categories, but I’m fine with that.  I even made a cute little sign to put in the front of the container.  Since I’m pretty much the sweetest person on earth, you can download one for yourself here.

greeting card organizer

This greeting card organizer is available on Amazon for $16.68 ($8.73 plus $7.95 for shipping).  You can also find greeting card organizers at The Container Store from $9.99 to $14.99.

Some may think this is teetering on overly-organized, and I get that but I like always having cards on hand.  Who wants to run to the store and spend 10-15 minutes trying to find the best card when they have other things to do?  Not I.  But then again I’m a weirdo, and I have a thing with getting the most appropriate greeting card to convey my feelings.

Are you a greeting card hoarder?
Do you organize random things before tackling more obvious organization projects?
Are you more of a sentimental or funny card giver?

two twenty one

Comments

1. Debbie says

I have a greeting card organizer too! Mine is more like a book with pocket folders but it got so stuffed now I use a photo box with dividers. :-)

Hi Chelsea! Love the card organizer! I could definitely use this idea myself! My cards are currently clipped together with an oversized bag clip…yikes! I was so excited to see a blogger from Indy! My husband and I just moved from Broadripple and now live in Northern Indiana. Check out my blog if you get a chance! http://www.housebyhoff.blogspot.com.

I demand photo evidence of your disorganized spice cabinet, kitchen junk drawer, messy sock drawer, etc. because I kind of have a hard time believing they aren’t all neat and tidy and labeled. Forrest broke my printer over a year ago, and I finally bought a new one this week and have been printing out free greeting cards by the dozen because I’m so excited to finally be able to do things like that! I love getting ‘real’ mail like cards and letters.
    Rachel recently posted..2nd Birthday Photo TributeMy Profile

4. Catherine says

That is fantastic! If only to have a card to hand to my husband when he needs to send a card, because he can’t pick out a decent one (except when it comes to me) to save his life …

5. Nicole says

I have a box quite similar to that. Comes in quite handy.
    And I prefer the term “band geek.” It’s choir nerd, orchestra dork, then band geek, with of course, the band geek being supreme amoung those designations… said from a former high school clarinet player :)

I totally love what you’ve done. I can relate … I have the exact same box and love it too! I keep cards on hand and always buy them when there’s a coupon or deal at Hallmark (only buy the 99 cent cards). I love your cover page and as soon as I saw your post I hoped you shared it as a printable. THANK YOU! I’m printing it to put in my box right now! Love how colorful it is! Have a great weekend!

When I was in college – Hallmark would visit the school to recruit and they would leave behind mounds of greeting cards. Thus began my greeting card hoarding. It’s so so nice to always have a card available when you need it! I love this organizer! Seems much sturdier than my floppy file folder. Definitely looking into it!

I have so much love for that organizer! And it is funny that you and I both organized our cards at the same time. Great minds think alike! :) I am seriously over the moon giddy looking at those organized greeting cards.

xo!
    Jen
    Jen recently posted..Organizing Our Paper PilesMy Profile

9. Katie says

Ahoy from Oregon! I was just about to build my own binder (after years of shoving cards in between books, hoping I’d find them when I needed them) when I googled it and came across your blog. Thank you for the box recommendation and link! Your blog is not only darling, but super useful, too! Thank you! :) Katie

10. Renee says

I am a HUGE card fan. I’ve often purchased packages with a variety of “homemade” style cards for all different occasions. I have them stashed all over the place (hence I have no organizational system at the moment lol). I also like to make my own handmade cards. I’ve been doing it for years and now I’m slowly building up better supplies to make even grander, more spectacular cards. But I think this has inspired me to get more organized and at least group all of my cards together so I’m not shuffling between several boxes to find the right one!

Found this post via Google and it’s exactly what I needed! Just ordered this box on Amazon. Your blog is adorable – we actually featured you and your DIY vases on our blog last week (www.officeluxeblog.com). Love your stuff! Thanks!

12. Laetitia G. says

This is a nice idea. I buy cards and tuck them away in a safe place, never to see the light of day again. Perhaps if I get a nice organized box like yours I will remember to use the cards I have. Thank you!