Library Card Catalog

I’ve had an obsession with library card catalogs for a couple years. I think they’re unique and there’s history behind them. That, and they’re basically the pygmy hippopotamuses of furniture. Because I’m pretty certain the majority of libraries use online book cataloging now. Goodbye, Dewey Decimal. Enjoy your forced retirement.

I’ve been trolling Craigslist for card catalogs off and on for about a year. When I would think about it, I would do a search. Well, about a month ago I searched, and low and behold one was for sale.

The ad was posted at 4:25PM. I emailed the guy at 7:30PM. He emailed me back a couple minutes later and asked if I wanted to take a look at it that night. Brad was game, so by 8PM we were on our way to the guy’s house. Or I should say church? The nice man I purchased it from lives in a former church, pews and all. When Brad and I arrived we thought he had just moved in and was working on clearing it out. Nope. He’s lived there for 15 hoarding years. I have a record of buying Craigslist items from interesting people in interesting places. Makes Craigslisting fun and exciting, in my opinion.

Now, some of you may be thinking “$85 for a card catalog? I bet I could get one for $25″. And maybe you could. But do an EBay or Etsy search, and you’ll see how much these suckers are going for. We’re talking $250-$1,500+. This card catalog is solid, and it has dovetail drawers. So I think $85 is a pretty good deal.

Now, there is one obvious thing missing here. One drawer. One pesky drawer.

UPDATE! I found a drawer!

When I bought it I figured I could make a drawer (or at least a faux drawer), find a label holder/drawer pull like the others, slap it on, and call it a day. But I’ve scoured the Internets for a label holder/drawer pull that’s identical to the other ones to no avail. I asked my brother if one of his friends could fabricate one, but he said it would cost “$$$”. I’m assuming he meant it would cost over $100 by using three dollar signs in his text message. Hmm yeah, I’m not paying more than $10 for a piece of metal, let alone $100. So if you come across a similar label holder/drawer pull email me. Pretty please. UPDATE! I found a drawer solution!
Now, some of you are probably thinking, “This is great, Chelsea, but what are you going to use this for/do with it? Or is this just another pawn in your hoarding game?” And to you, I’d say that it won’t be in its current state forever. I have a plan. It’s mustering up the ambition to execute said plan. I mean, it took me about 3 months to turn the dresser into a TV stand. If we use that algorithm, I have 2 months left to do something with the card catalog. Tick tock.
What are your thoughts on card catalogs?
Any suggestions on what I should do about the label holder/drawer pull conundrum?

UPDATE! I found a drawer solution!
Note: The card catalog is NOT for sale.
Unless you want to give me $10,000 for it.  I’d be able to part with it for $10,000, but nothing less.

Comments

I love it! Good luck finding matching hardware. If that doesn’t pan out for you, what about removing all the drawers on one row (or even a column) for a bit of open shelving? Of course, you’d have to clean up the look of the inside a bit (maybe removing the trim/installing a back panel). Sounds like a lot of work, but I think it could be worth it!

Ooh, or I wonder if you just removed the middle 3 (2, really) on top and removed the trim pieces between drawers if that would make a nice tall cubby for something practical, decorative, or both?

Could be fun!

Wow. I think I might be jealous of your project. I’m gonna stop typing/thinking about it now. :)

Would it look weird if you just replaced it with wood and no handle. It’s in the middle so it might look meant to be. I’m bad at visualizing things though.

I LOVE this piece. Very jealous. I always find them in antique stores for $400+.

I LOVE it! And $85 was totally a good deal! Maybe in the mean time you should just pull out a few more drawers and put something small and cute in them for display? Regardless I’m super jealous of your amazing find!

You could put a figurine of your last name monogram in that space, painted in a bold color. I have seen several metal and wood initial figures in smaller sizes that would fit into a space like this, and if you planned to paint the stand a more nuetral color, that one pop of color with your last name initial resting in that cubby would create a really dramatic effect! I’d paint the inside of the cubby hole the same color that you paint the rest of the piece.

Or, paint the piece of furniture one color, paint the inside of the cubby hole a dramatic accent color, and put some sort of other small knick-knack in there.

Cant wait to see your finished product!

Jealous! That is a great find!!! You could take out the whole row and cut out that section to hold your dvd or cable box since you’re using it as a tv stand.

Absolutely love it!!! I want one! I would put a false door on the missing spot (love how you have it in the middle) and paint a design on it, like a monogram. Add a little personal touch, and you don’t have to worry about the cost and hassle of making a drawer. I think you have plenty of drawers to go around already!

I’ve always wanted a card catalog! I’m simultaneously jealous and thrilled for you. I’m psyched to see what you do with it in 2 months or so ;-) I’m picturing amazing things. Good work, you craigslist warrior.

i luuuuuurve it. Seriously jealous. I have been googling these for a while and i definitely appreciate what a good deal $85 is. Especially for one that large. i will keep my eyes open for some matching pulls for you!

Love your blog…I’ve been stalking for a while, but finally got the courage to comment. I can’t wait to see what you do with this piece. I bought one that’s half the size for twice your price. It’s been sitting in my living room on an old Ikea table for years (no cool base like yours). So, you’re ahead of the game for even thinking about fixing it up after only a month!

That’s a steal! My friend paid much more for one! She uses it for recipes and kitchen knick-knacks. Can’t wait to see how you use yours!

You FOUND ONE?!

I have been STALKING old craig and his list for DECADES. Decades, I tell ya! I’m dying to call one of these my own… but in the meantime, I will pine for yours. In a totally covetous way.

12. Judy says

Great for you. I too have been looking for over a year for myself, however I refuse to pay the $$$$ they are asking for them. I am planning to use mine (when I find one lol) for scrapbook supplies, bead supplies, paints, etc. Yes I am a crafter to the bone!!!! If you have not found the original idea supplies I would suggest this: I said you have a drawer idea and I would use that and put a label (0ld looking) that says something like this:
    This lovely antique belong to &&**
    do not remove for any reason
    it’s mine, I found it, I fixed it!!!
    Be afraid very afraid
    Or something equally as silly or just your name and address or even just your name in large font lettering. I think that would solve the $$ factor plus show some funny thoughts specific to you and your Own PERSONALITY! LOL LOL
    GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!!

13. Vicki says

Oh, lucky you! I have been obsessed with these things for years and have searched high and low and the only ones I’ve found have been over $500. Out of my league! So color me green with envy!

I know this is an older entry but I had an idea and thought I would share. You should take out a few of the other drawers and put wine bottles in there. Then it’s a partial wine rack!