And Then The Craigslist Gods Shined Down On Me…

Remember last week when I showed you my card catalog that I found on Craigslist for $85?  Remember how I told you that it was missing a drawer?  Well, if you don’t remember, here’s a refresher.

Well, the Craigslist powers from above shined down on me late last Thursday night.  (Cue the angelic “Ahhhhhhh”.)  Because do you know what I came across?  A nearly identical card catalog.  BOOM. SHAKA. LAKA.

You guys, it always pays to be a stalker… of Craigslist.  Stalking people is a no-no.  Don’t do that.  But stalk Craigslist for furniture to your heart’s content.

You better believe I jumped on this opportunity.  I purchased the card catalog Friday night from a nice couple, who wasn’t on house arrest and who didn’t live in a church.  However, I told the woman about my missing drawer issue and showed her a photo of my card catalog on my phone.  The next morning she emailed me and asked if I wanted to trade card catalogs because the 3×5 configuration of mine would work better for what they were trying to achieve.  I had to tell her thanks but no thanks and wished her well with her card catalog project.

Here’s what the card catalog looks like with the new drawer.

Ridiculousness, right?

You can tell that it’s not 100% identical if you study it, but there’s 30 drawers and unless you’re specifically looking for it, you’d never be able to tell.

Now, what am I going to do with the new card catalog with 8 drawers left in it?  I don’t know.  I figure I can keep it and use it somewhere else, or I can sell it.  I could sell the whole unit or split it up and sell the drawers individually.  I still haven’t decided.  But if I choose to sell it, all of you will be the first to know.  So stalk this blog in order to find out my decision, but don’t stalk me.  Thanks.

How crazy is this?
Are you a Craigslist stalker?  (Not to be confused with Craigslist killer.)
What do you think I should do with the 8 drawer card catalog?  Sorry, I won’t be giving it away for free.  I know– I’m such a jerk.

Are you a two twenty one facebook follower?  No?  You should.  All the cool kids are doing it.

Comments

Hmmmmm this is kind of amazing. Now you have to buy ANOTHER card catalog to replace that missing drawer. Or start trolling for single card catalog drawers. Gosh, Craigslisting could be a full-time job!!

Crazy how that all happened. Must have been meant for you to have. I don’t stalk craigslist. We have something here in Utah called KSL…which is a news station. But, they have something like craigslist on line. We have bought and sold all kinds of things on there.

I have JUST started using CL for stuff – last weekend I bought my first piece – a sideboard for my dining room – $100. This week I sold some old silverware I had kicking around. It’s GREAT!

I do get a little nervous before a pickup because you never know, but I figure that like 90% of people are just out looking for a good deal.

How exciting! I saw a wanna be card catalog on the street a few days ago and thought of you and your missing drawer! It wouldn’t have fit though…

Wow! How cool is that!?! Sorry, no idea what to do with the other one. Why in the heck would that lady think you would want to trade?!?! Yours is SO much nicer. Nice try, lady!

I would give it to someone who knows how to refurnish furniture, if that isn’t your thing. Have them turn it into a 6 drawer catalog by making a few cuts, sanding and refinishing it. Sell the two extra draws individually and then sell the new 6 drawer catalog and you can probably come out way ahead of what you spent!

You should use the “new one” minus one drawer as an organizer for office supplies. You can use your ninja crafty skills to make that open drawer a container for something fun like storage for letters or really tall pencils or something. :) Love your blog!

Maybe you could use just the drawers? I saw someone pinned (sorry, I don’t know the original source although I want to say it was House of Smiths) where they used drawers as pantry organization for spice packets, etc.

9. Julie says

Maybe this is old news and maybe it’s been suggested before, but the first thing I thought of when I saw the missing drawer was to use the space for long things. Don’t look for a replacement at all for the other one, remove drawers in a pattern you like and use empty slots for long papers rolled up, posters, newspaper or mail by the front door, etc. Cool find!

10. tamara says

looks like that could be cut down into a 6 drawer prety easily and you would stil have the otther two for other goodies

11. Trish says

I soooo LOVE what I’ve read so far on your blog! (just found it today)
    TOTALLY AMAAAZING!
    And this card catalog. OH*MY*STARS! The former Hoosier-now-living in-Southern California-as a poor writer on the bottom rungs here in Hollywood-would like to say she’d offer her *right arm* for that (((BEAUTIFUL)))) piece of literary history!!! …..or cash….if you’d prefer. Most people do prefer cash. LOL!!!! :)

Of course…if I *did* do that (offer the appendage, that is.) then I’d be hard pressed when it came time to work, now wouldn’t I? And believe me….with pressure and deadlines…..my typing skills are humorous enough some days
    with TWO working arms. …besides…my arms are old and funny looking, who’d “want” them now…but me. If I break up the set. I’m fairly positive there wouldn’t “be” another one somewhere just laying around on Craigslist. O.o

Speaking of, Craigslist must be ~FAR~ less picked over in your area than it is here in mine so I say *rally on!!!* :D
    And yes…~Please~ keep going with this *Awesome Sauce* blog……it’s the stuff that *SMILES* and *HAPPINESS* are made of!
    I know, because I found myself thinking of home today, (Indiana)
    I did feel that warm and solid happiness from thinking about it…. And yes….I did smile.
    God bless ya! :D

12. Michele says

Hey, Chelsea! I’m new to your page (found you through the 30 days “GOLD” handmade gifts post).
    Anyway, I had an idea about the absolutely gorgeous card catalog score(s) that you made; (congratulations on those–I’ve always loved card catalogs, too!!): take the drawers from the smaller, non-matching set and put them in decorative arrangement in the larger (original) sets. Use the remainder of the drawers for recipe cards, photos, brushes, whatever fits!!!; hang them on the wall vertically to hold figurines; horizontally (open side up) for towels, washcloths, clothespins, bottles of nail polish, etc. or (open side forward) for small figures, photos, mementos. In any case–don’t get rid of them because SOME day you’ll need another replacement! :-)